Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Uncle Tom, what the PHO is going on?!?!?!?


It's your Uncle Tom again folks with another fine dining review. Today's post is dedicated to our good friend Canowine. He was the first person to introduce me to the amazing cuisine from his country of Vietnam (yes it's his) and for that I am indebted to him. Yes folks, Pho is a serious dining experience and one that should be shared with all your friends and I think that RC666 knows what I'm talking about. So here you go folks, tonight's dinner was courtesy of the following restaurant that was located in a back alley:

Tonight was all about have some good soup and some great spring rolls. We ordered some fried spring rolls, some fresh summer rolls along with the "small" bowls of the Pho. After about 5 minutes from the time of the order, the waitress brought to the table, a heaping bowl of bean sprouts that were to go into the soup, she also brought the two types of rolls and also a side dish of pickled radish (a kimchee that's really good). I was able to take a picture of everything at once I hope that all of my 5 readers can make out what's what.....

As you can all see, there is a lot of food, also here is what a SMALL bowl of soup looks like.

So... yeah tons of food right? Now for those who aren't familiar with the religion of eating Pho, first you have to add the bean sprouts, next comes some tasty bean paste and then some SIRACHA which is some hot stuff. Now I like to add some chilis to my soup. Everyone else I know thinks that I am crazy including my stomach. But the kick that they add to the beef is awesome. Once stirred the once brown liquid turns to a dark red color and as the noodles absorb the sauce, they too take on the spicy liquid flavor. My personal favorite type is with all the meats, tendon, and tripe and without the onion and ciliantro (same as RC666 and my younger brother although Canowine is more hardcore and gets it all). They don't offer that here, just brisket, flank and tendon. Whenever Sugarduck and I would share a bowl, she would also let/force me eat the tendon and tripe although one day I am sure that I can convince her to try it! The soup tonight was tasty although the siracha was a bit "fake". It wasn't the real stuff, I don't know what it was since it was in a ketchup server but it didn't have the familiar flavor that I know so well. The fried spring rolls were horrible, they literally looked like they were the ones bought in the freezer section. The sauce that it came with was actually a Korean soy sauce and not the tasty Nouc Mon (spelling?) that I enjoy so much. But then again, I miss the spring rolls from Tahn Tahn (is that the correct spelling?). The fresh rolls weren't too bad except the peanut dipping sauce was actually peanut butter, heck it might have been Jiffy! At least I had the Pho and honestly that's all I wanted. It brought me back to a time where a bunch of good friends would go out to have some hot soup on a cold day and just have a good lunch (I'm all man baby!!). It also reminded me of my wife whom I miss dearly. I would have loved to have shared this bowl with her and I know that she knows that too.... Take Care folks, tomorrow night, no food because I am going to get my ass kicked at TaeKwonDo. Ahhhhh Good Times, Good Times. Uncle Tom Out!

4 comments:

RC666 said...

I hate you! At least you still have good food, even if there is no music! Good to hear from you, you need to deep freeze some of that food and mail it next day delivery here!

SugarDuck said...

Do they sell siracha at the commissary? Maybe you should start bringing your own. Looks like it will be a very long time before we share a decent bowl of pho. Sigh.

John said...

We are going to Pho VN One in College Park (formerly known as Thanh Thanh in Silver Spring) when you get back! Or to Falls Church! And I might wait for you before I get Drunken Noodles again!

John said...

...and yes it is the Motherland. The home of people who wear black. But you know what? People like MD do the dry cleaning over there!!